Saturday, June 9, 2012

Light's Out


Time of death:  3:22 am, Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012.  The light went out.

Up early to head off to the airport, I switched it on and it ‘blew’. It was a dramatic burst of brilliance, quite fitting rather than simply being non-responsive.  I didn’t believe it and switched it on more cautiously, willing it to shed its light as it always has. I tried it a number of times with same result. Darkness.

When we returned this week, I fully expected it to have fixed itself. It hadn’t.  I must say, it did surprise me. I was absolutely sure it had been possessed by magical powers – it was of another world.  Actually, every day since our return I carefully and gently switch it on and off, on and off - trying to spark it to life again. It hasn’t worked.

I wrote about our ‘magical’, albeit ugly, light fixture in a post back on August 7th last year. We have been here twenty four years this month and have never once replaced that bulb. Ever.  At this point I thought that it would shine on longer than we do.

I guess I am going to have to accept that its reign is over and dissect the fixture to extract the Magic Bulb. But I’m giving it a few more days to see if it’s just teasing.

No comments: