Friday, May 1, 2009

Never Say Never


Well, I did it. I could never, ever see myself there. In fact, I thought that it was kind of pathetic. All those poor people, with such pained, intense looks - anything but happy ...running & running like hamsters. I'd think 'That's SO sad - they don't have to be in that cage, why don't they just run outside?'

I have never been a fan. A fan of cages, of doing the same thing over & over ... a fan of exercise for the sake of exercise. I love to walk or ride my bike - but the conditions have to be perfect. No wind, the right temperature, nothing else pressing to do. I walk to gawk - to breathe & enjoy nature. I bike so I can listen to my book.

So this week, when I signed up at a fitness club for an ENTIRE YEAR, no one was more shocked than me. I've actually gone twice. And had a good time. Really only because (the going AND the having a good time) my youngest daughter is there. All the hamsters with the pained expressions were surely shaking their heads at our attempts to figure out each and every machine. I didn't love the hufffing & puffing & sweating or the confirmation that my fitness level is non-existant, but I love that I'm getting to spend time with her - we actually had fun.

And it turns out that there is something there that I actually DO enjoy. A wonderful, big, comfortable massage chair with a pile of magazines beside it. Now THAT'S my kind of equipment.

2 comments:

Trish Stover said...

Sounds like my kind of gym. my main activity would be exercising my right to relax.
I finally figured out how to comment and follow your blog. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Sheryl Parsons said...

Lol Ev! My SIL gave me a Beach Bodies CD for my birthday....ouch!!! And I mean that literally, boy it hurts. :-) But, it is helping me to curb my appetite. Now, I just have to stay away from the sweets, well at least cut back.....